Was asked to speak on a mandarin radio interview tomorrow on what "green" things people can do for Chinese New Year during spring cleaning, shopping or visiting. It's a recorded phone interview but nonetheless I went about asking a few friends for their input as well as threw in a few of mine.
If you have more ideas, feel free to leave a comment. Remember, creativity is boundless!
- buying new clothes? don't throw out the old clothes - donate them or make them into new clothes! check out the Little Brown Dress Project for creative inspiration http://tinyurl.com/2xr2rk
- wenhua suggests: spring cleaning? remember to sort your waste and recycle!
- instead of buying tons of packet drinks for house guests during CNY, how about brewing jugs of homemade drinks for them? cut down wastes about 2 hours ago
- oh yes @evehow reminds: do not eat / buy facai moss (Nostoc flagelliforme). It's overharvested and banned http://tinyurl.com/m52hn
- suggestion from @evehow: don't buy more than needed, don't buy too much food that end up throw away and check if your seafood is sustainable about 3 hours ago
- suggestion from koksheng: no eat sharks fin and carpool with relatives when going visiting!
- recycle your angpow packets! use it as an envelope, birthday angpow, rough paper or make a lantern!
- bake your own cookies to reduce on packaging waste. otherwise reuse the cookies/love letter containers for food storage! we put bakua in 'em about 3 hours ago
- what green things can people do for chinese new year? use biodegradable or reusable instead of disposable plates/cutlery during parties
More daily green actions from 15 January 2007 in the full article.
- ever since I started daily green actions, people have been asking me for green tips. Dont they know I'm struggling along just like everyone?
- tomorrow im getting a radio interview about "green things" people can do for Chinese New Year. Any suggestions? Help!
- wrote up some responses for an email interview regarding minimization of plastic bags - look out for me in My Paper on Monday 21 Jan
- I've decided not to turn on my office light as well since I sit beside the window! Lights out doesn't just apply to 7-9pm!
- Went to find a lecturer in her office and found that she didn't turn on the lights and allow sunlight to illuminate her office! inspiring :)
- we should be looking at whole ecosystems and not just single endangered species. they are just indicators screaming "engine overheated!"
- species conservation alone is short-sighted and narrow minded. nonetheless, we SHOULD be responsible for our impacts. it will backlash later
- feeling "green" and having apple-starfruit juice for breakfast but then it got me thinking where the fruits are from. occupational hazards
- i really enjoy walking to the MRT in the morning where you can feel the morning mist and dewdrops on grass. then the car exhausts kills me.