Sunday, January 13, 2008

Daily Green Actions: 7-12 Jan 2008

Daily Green Actions has been going on since November 9, 2007. It has been 2 months and 4 days! Sadly I was not exactly welcoming in the new year with green actions, but twitter messages resumed on 7 January and below is the compilation from the last week with a few highlights before the fold

Highlights of my favourite Actions

  • have you studied your household utilities bill recently? it sure helps to identify a strategy for daily energy/water conservation.
  • Driving is tiring and knowing how to drive enable people to carpool and share responsibilities. But we DO NOT each need a car of our own!
  • how far do you think one should go in influencing the actions of your friends and family? Kick a fuss or simply suggest and let them decide?
  • in addition to lightsout USA, in canada, WWF started an initiative called Earth Hour that also aims to turn off lights for 1 hr on 29 Mar 08
  • do you flatten your drink cartons or cans before throwing them away? In a minuscule way, this helps save energy used to compress them later
  • but in the first place, should we even buy packet, canned or bottled drinks? how about brewing your own and using a reusable jug or bottle!
  • Even little birdies goes green in light of climate change! http://tinyurl.com/yrprh2 a lil inspiration for myself and us all to persevere!
  • cheers to @juanicths for offering to help me with lightsout by inviting me to healthy activities like exercising and simply time with frens
  • finally used my portable chopsticks for the first time today when we ate sushi for dinner! I was so happy when I returned the disposables :)

12 January 2008
  • spent lights out yesterday at dinner with @evievie. friends are such wonderful activities. Lightsout should be spent as a group activity!
  • have you studied your household utilities bill recently? it sure helps to identify a strategy for daily energy/water conservation.
  • interesting to note that my household water consumption is way below national average but electricity is struggling around the average
  • trying to determine if lights out has indeed reduced my household electricity consumption but there was no meter reading in Dec! frustrated
11 January 2008
  • Driving is tiring and knowing how to drive enable people to carpool and share responsibilities. But we DO NOT each need a car of our own!
  • just had my 2nd driving lesson and already my dad is planning to buy a car! Grr! Knowing how to drive is not a bad thing but buying cars is!
  • how far do you think one should go in influencing the actions of your friends and family? Kick a fuss or simply suggest and let them decide?
  • Taking a lesson from feedback I got this morning, do not make a fuss about others' un-green behaviour or they will think i'm just angsty
10 January 2008
  • That makes a total of about 4 countries that I know so far that has a similar initiative under a different name - Japan, US, Canada, Taiwan
  • in addition to lightsout USA, in canada, WWF started an initiative called Earth Hour that also aims to turn off lights for 1 hr on 29 Mar 08
  • further reflection: whats the point of having lights out if i proceed to spend the next 22 hours on the computer?
  • today lights out will be spent learning how to drive. not exactly the best activity in the world. the driving school doesnt use hybrid cars!
  • but in the first place, should we even buy packet, canned or bottled drinks? how about brewing your own and using a reusable jug or bottle!
  • do you flatten your drink cartons or cans before throwing them away? In a minuscule way, this helps save energy used to compress them later
9 January 2008
  • 30 minutes more to lights out and i've decided to spend it on the bench outside my house, enjoying the cool breeze and company of giant wasp
  • while at botanical gardens, met vilma and prof wee! what a wonderful place. must hang out there more often!
  • spent lights out today at botanical gardens, planning my environmental education and capacity building initiative which organizes workshops
  • indulged in a bit of consumerism and bought a new laptop bag. necessary evil - consumerism.
  • Even little birdies goes green in light of climate change! http://tinyurl.com/yrprh2 a lil inspiration for myself and us all to persevere!
  • cheers to @juanicths for offering to help me with lightsout by inviting me to healthy activities like exercising and simply time with frens
  • forgot to switch off power sources at home before i left! this is precisely what i mean about being out of sync. it takes conscientiousness
  • why am i finding it so hard to get back to daily green actions after 20 days in USA? I was so inspired after 6 mths in santa barbara in '05!
  • may have another blogging workshop lined up for nparks volunteers. that makes it the 2nd confirmed blogging for nature workshop in 2008!
8 January 2008
  • alas i spent lights out being on the laptop playing scrabble online. i really need to find activities away from electronic items.
  • got a phone call earlier from a friend asking me to give a talk about what one can do for environment and community outreach. should be fun!
  • haven't done lights out in almost a month and now at a lost with 7 oclock ticking pass me! scampering to turn computer off. cya at 9!
  • Found an old resume where I wrote my objectives as "...sustainable community resource management through research, outreach or planning"
  • After a long chat with my professor (the one who's in IPCC), I've realized that my niche is in community engagement, NGO mgmt & strategies
  • I got approached to be involved either as a TA or guest speaker in the new Environmental Sustainability module offered by my department. Yay
  • finally used my portable chopsticks for the first time today when we ate sushi for dinner! I was so happy when I returned the disposables :)
7 January 2008
  • lights out today will be spent having dinner with friends so no electricity consumed. i made sure everything was turned off before leaving
  • lights out yesterday was spent sleeping. sadly I was so jetlagged, I comatosed and hit the bed without turning off the computer!
  • having a hard time adjusting back to being green but taking taxis is out of the question these days due to the price hike. yay!

No comments: